Wednesday, October 7, 2015

First Real EDM Experience

I’m in the locker room before a big game. I was playing for Midland High School varsity hockey and the team was trying to get jacked up. Out of nowhere, my teammate, Nolan Nowak, starts asking about this song. He keeps making all these weird noises and none of us know what he is talking about. “Come on! Think!” he yells at us. After a while of us laughing at Nolan looking like a fool, dancing around and making weird noises, Garrett Kraut figures out what song he was talking about. Animals by Martin Garrix.
Eureka! Except Nolan sounded nothing like that song, though he tried. Garrett plugs in his phone to our stereo system in the locker room and we all start jamming out to it. It was my first real experience with EDM music. Then the bass drops and Nowak starts dancing around softly hitting his fists against the side of his head to the beat. Jacob Coffey throws off his gloves and starts doing finger guns to the bass. People are banging on the wooden lockers and dancing around. It was a mad house. Suddenly, Coach Brown walks in, and he is the type of guy that listens to old classic rock and can’t stand the new age music or when a song swears. “What the hell is this?” he asks. “It’s dubstep coach.” Nowak replied, luckily. “Doob-steep?” Brown questions while stuttering to say it. We don’t try to correct him, we just let him call it whatever he wants to call it. Luckily for us, he didn’t care and walked out of the locker room to talk with the other coaches about whatever they talk about before a game. He left us to get focused on our own, which I enjoy more than a coach making us sit there in silence. I still play with some of the guys from that team every now and then and whenever we have a game I will play that song for shits and giggles. I still listen to it every now and then if it pops up in my playlist. It always brings me back to good memories with great friends and the best sport on Earth. It not only reminds me of that, the song helped me get into EDM which has changed my music spectrum drastically. It led me to find other artists that I like to listen to now a days.

No comments:

Post a Comment